Welcome to the blog of author Tricia Goyer!

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Mommying and Writing: The Nitty Gritty - Buddies

For the next two weeks I'll be running a 'Mommying and Writing' series. Just a few things I've learned along the way as both a Mommy and a Writer!

Writing Buddies.

Sometimes as a mom you long for “adult” conversation during the day. As an author, there are also times when you hope for someone to talk to who understands the business of writing. I was blessed to find many friends who understood both.

The “One Heart” group was made up of various women I’d met at my first Mt. Hermon’s Writer’s conference. We have been emailing each other for fifteen years now, and our friendship is strong. It was to these women that I turned to for parenting advice, writing help, and prayer needs. They were the ones who encouraged me during seasons when I felt like giving up my dreams of publication. They kept me accountable when I had deadlines to meet. They prayed with me through tough stuff. They rejoiced when my dreams came through.

As Ecclesiastes 4:12 says, “ … a cord of three strands cannot be broken.” These women started out as writing buddies, but they became friends for life. I count on them and they count on me, and I can’t imagine walking this path without them.

3 comments:

Name: Holly Bowne said...

A writing/parenting/support group--that's a cool idea. Part of me knows there would probably be great benefit to getting involved with a writing group. But finding the time...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Finding the time and the people...

I haven't been very successful at finding people who I can truly connect with as a writer. I've met several wonderful people at writing groups, but, didn't really connect on a personal level with them. My close friends are not writers. They support my career, but that's it. My prayer has been for the Lord to send someone here that I can build a great writing relationship with; someone I can trust with my passion! There is one person I met who I believe God may be putting in place as a partner- but she's a full time professor and will pick back up on writing this summer!

Excellent word though Tricia! Keep 'em coming!


Blessings,
Kennisha
http://www.kennisha-hill.com